I suggest you ...

Customer email notification when mailbox quota exceeded

It would be a very useful feature to have an email automatically injected to a customers mailbox when their quota is close to the limit and another when the mailbox quota has been exceeded with advice (customisable) on how to resolve the problem.

Sometimes clients are unaware/forget their quota and if accessing via outlook/smartphone etc they are not aware of the limit being reached. This can result in several days without emails or emails being rejected with a "mailbox full" autoresponder. Ironically this means anyone sending emails to the client are aware the mailbox is full but the client is unaware of the problem.

894 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Studio 4 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

151 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, this feature would be very usefull!!
    I'm quite disapointed that it's still not implemented in the last version...

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is one of those "why is it not a standard feature already" requests? Come on Odin. Three years, plenty of votes and it is common sense type need.

• xaasst commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Weird that this feature has not yet found its way, despite it being so fundamental and necessary.

i was very surprised that plesk don't have this feature, because you will find it in any other hosting-app. it is also very easy to implement, because the sender receives an email notification. so you can only bcc this mail to the mailbox owner. later on it would be nice to notify when it is almost full also.

• Deepak M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

now there are 407 votes after how many vote plesk development will think of adding it

• Maikel Janssen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a really nice feature. Is there another way of making this happen for now? Or should we really wait for the feature?

Is plesk development taking this feature in consideration? to still they are thinking on this request

• twistedpixel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to write a script but it doesn't seem possible via the XML API since that annoyingly only returns the size of the mailbox but not the available size. It seems it can be done via IMAP interface but that would require each account's password.

Maybe a better (simpler) solution is for the Plesk API to return more useful information. Perhaps a request for all mailbox sizes and usage. That way we can at least script it - which I'm happy to do and stick on Github for everyone.

• Studio 4 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Interesting to see this feature is still being discussed nearly 3 years after we first proposed it. Yesterday a client called to say they had not received email for 24 hours and the problem was their mailbox limit had been exceeded. Checking the mailbox we received notification but the mailbox owner was oblivious.

This seems crazy that as the server admin I receive an email to say the mailbox is full, everyone who sends an email to that mailbox gets informed the mailbox is full but the mailbox owner has no idea. So I need to manually contact the mailbox owner to tell them their mailbox is full and ask them to remove some email (or up-sell more space) - this is surely not a complex problem to resolve - just inject a configurable warning message to their mailbox when they reach X% from their allocation.

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@ Anonymous: Thank you too.

I agree on the first two questions you asked.

My perception is that most hosters today offer hosting packages with size limits. The more capacity they offer the more they cost. So, it's quite common that mailboxes are limited in size and that they sometimes reach their limits. Please comment if your perception is different.

Here is my practical experience so far:

- Customers complain if they are eventually told by senders that their mailbox is full. All to often must they empty their mailbox or upgrade it to a larger size first before they are able to receive emails again. They lose some emails, too.

- On the other side, they are happy if their mailbox notifies them at - say - 80% of its capacity. (One of my hosters has implemented a script that does this.) For the customer it's "a stitch in time saves nine."

Consequently, I would be in favour of customisable softlimits for mailboxes on Plesk that trigger a notification, as well as default thresholds per server/domain that hosters/admins can customise.

Example:
    [x] Notify me daily when [ n ] % of mailbox capacity has been reached.

And I am always open for other suggestions that make customers happy.

Feedback and Knowledge Base