I suggest you ...

Add PHP Composer to chrooted

Please add PHP Composer to chrooted Environments.
Many Customers Need PHP Composer to install various scripts, cms Systems and libaries.

A current big Problem is the new typo-neos System - you must use Composer to install at sources correctly

A other Problem are PHP API's and Libaries like Payment Companies like PAYMILL etc..

74 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sebastian shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your input. We are already considering adding PHP Composer in the future releases. We cannot promise you that it will be chrooted, though, since that’s quite expensive to develop. Please let us know how important for you to have PHP Composer chrooted in the comments.

—AK

17 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Balogh Zoltán commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A possible solution, it works for me. The timezone and the path for php.ini and the php extensions directory maybe different:

wget https://plesk.zendesk.com/hc/article_attachments/115005093613/update_chroot.tar.gz
    tar -xvzf update_chroot.tar.gz
    rm update_chroot.tar.gz
    cp /etc/ld.so.conf* /var/www/vhosts/chroot/etc
    ./update_chroot.sh --add ldconfig
    ./update_chroot.sh --add ldconfig.real
    ./update_chroot.sh --add env
    ./update_chroot.sh --add php
    mkdir /var/www/vhosts/chroot/usr/share
    cp -a /usr/share/zoneinfo /var/www/vhosts/chroot/usr/share
    for i in /usr/lib/php5/20131226/*.so ; do ./update_chroot.sh --add $i ; done
    cp -a /etc/php5/cli/php.ini /var/www/vhosts/chroot/etc
    sed -i.bkp 's/;date.timezone =/date.timezone = Europe\/Budapest/' /var/www/vhosts/chroot/etc/php.ini
    mkdir /var/www/vhosts/chroot/usr/lib/plesk-9.0
    cp -a /usr/lib/plesk-9.0/composer.phar /var/www/vhosts/chroot/usr/lib/plesk-9.0/
    ./update_chroot.sh --add composer
    ./update_chroot.sh --apply all
    chroot /var/www/vhosts/chroot composer

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Composer in chroot is most important. Most popular webmailer Roundcube needs composer for installing plugins...

All other server solutions habe no problem with copmposer only plesk has :( :(

• Sidi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another example is additional commands relating to deploy with the composer:
    php[env] artisan db:seed --class=delete_tables
    php[env] artisan migrate

• Elompenta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You've created a beutifull tool with you applications composer.json scan ;)

I think this topic is already done in Plesk 12.5 or?

• zio fester commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi all,
    reading the manual I have found here:
    http://download1.parallels.com/Plesk/Doc/it-IT/online/plesk-customer-guide/index.htm?fileName=74969.htm

it seems not to be possible to run composer in non-chroot enviroments. But carefully reading this post:

https://github.com/composer/composer/issues/2867

And copying the necessary files needed by php to run (namely, php modules like phar and others), it is possible to have it running. So, in my opinion, it is always best to do some investigations directly before asking support that could come very long after you have asked.

• deilbrecht commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@AK
    we are a hosting company and would appreciate the combination of the composer with chrooted environments, too.

• Sebastian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@AK
    thanks for the fast response!
    yes, we need the composer feature absolutly with chrooted environments.

multiple customers on one system without to chroot every on its own home is against our security compliance. So composer and chrooted together are the only valid solution for us.

i know you have a great dev-team, he can solve this feature in a nice way ;)

hope to hear from you

thanks and best regards
    sebastian

Feedback and Knowledge Base