I suggest you ...

Customer email notification when mailbox quota exceeded

It would be a very useful feature to have an email automatically injected to a customers mailbox when their quota is close to the limit and another when the mailbox quota has been exceeded with advice (customisable) on how to resolve the problem.

Sometimes clients are unaware/forget their quota and if accessing via outlook/smartphone etc they are not aware of the limit being reached. This can result in several days without emails or emails being rejected with a "mailbox full" autoresponder. Ironically this means anyone sending emails to the client are aware the mailbox is full but the client is unaware of the problem.

617 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Studio 4Studio 4 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

75 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • joska Moellerjoska Moeller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nowadays much more people use IMAP and that's the main freason why it is urgently needed to have sent notifications, that the mail quota will exceed. Otherwise this causes confusions, unnecessary work or error searches and so on.

A MUST for a paid control panel software and a shame that this isn't implemented in YEARS.

• G J PiperG J Piper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had written a script that would do it about 5 years ago. The trick was to keep the offending users' email from getting more than one email notice at a time. I had it set to run from cron every hour. Every time it ran, it would scan for (real, non-alias) accounts that were up to 95% of quota. For each account that was close to max quota, it would scan all that account's inbox email for a specific code string that gets sent on the bottom of every "notice" email. If it didn't find the string, it would send that account a notice email. If it did find the string, it would skip sending so as to not bombard the user with dozens of notices. It worked pretty well!

I'm reluctant to dig up this script again as I'd much rather use a Plesk solution for this problem, which I know from my example can be done. I tried briefly to get it working again a year or so ago, but couldn't find an easy way to scan the quotas like I had when I was using a FreeBSD server with command-line quota tools.

Anyway, this is one way it could be done. Please consider it, Plesk masters. :-)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please stop the discussion, this is a feature that fits to plesk.
        After 4 years this is even more essential...

My customers always tell me how important their e-mails are. ;)

Is it hard work to implement it?

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lets discuss this idea more ... uuhhh mm .. do it !!! Its very essential and a basic feature for everyone.

• AlicaAlica commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Over 4 years, and still "open discussion". What needs to be discussed here anymore? That's really an easy one, just a cronjob, not even a configuration option on the web panel is needed.

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

must have feature for a paid panel like plesk. onyx and still this feature is under discussion. just do it without discussion :) !!!

• NKNK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The notification is needed even before the quota is reached.
        Say something like
        "You are now using 90% of your mailbox quota of 5G".
        so that the user could take action before it is too late.
        Surely it would be best if the %% limit for such notifications could be set by reseller/customer/admin

And send this notification to the end user like every day.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a basic feature, very easy to implement. Present in many free email services. And still, after so many years of develop, we are here to beg?

• DerDaniloDerDanilo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dovecot supports this on default, just has to be made available.

Maybe it would be good if the admin can activate this based on mail domain

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base