131 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well @Plesk Staff, the scenario is the typical one:
    My clients want to use their mailing-account in Thunderbird and/or Outlook but don't know a dime about ports, SSL or anything. I want to provide them with state of the art settings out of the box, for security and to avoid clients pulling all their mails via POP3 and blaming me, once their computer breaks down.
    Also I have got multiple domains on a single server, which all are supposed to resolve to the same mx/mail-domain, so clients always connect to the central server.

@analyzer:
    Autodiscover only forces a configuration where it isn't a choice anyway. Using Thunderbird you can always manually edit the settings if you want to, but in other software that doesn't leave the choice, in most cases it is better for the user and the provider to provide a secure and out-of-the-box setting.

@analyzer You are absolutely right ! but (as far as I know) office 2016 do not leave the choice between POP and IMAP

• analyzer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One thing I want to remind is that Autodiscover preselects/forces IMAP configuration and does not give the user the choice of POP3. Sure IMAP has its justification in certain situations, e.g. multiclient operation and complementing mobile opertion. But I believe it is favored over POP3 unjustly, just for "fashion".

However I acknowledge that this what I call "imap enforcement problem" applies by "modern" clients anyway, and is not being solved by plesk servers' autodiscover-non-support.

• alexz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

>> Could you provide more information about your scenario? In particular, could you explain which settings you want to be automatically discovered and at which step of your scenario?

Please let me break into this conversation and shed some light to this request:

The Autodiscover service is a required service for Outlook-Exchange connectivity since Outlook 2007 (and newer).

How it may look from side of end-user:
    user opens his Outlook client and adds his account via Auto Account Setup by only supplying his name, his email address and password. When he is done everything correctly and the server has been properly configured, user account will be configured in Outlook automatically. (IMAP/SMTP ports, mail severs names, TLS settings).

Please implement as soon as possible.. don't wait but act!! My clients only want to / can enter their e-mail and password. All the rest should be automatically! Many many others already have this functionality...

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@June 26, 2018 18:33 yeah exactly we are paying for Plesk because we wan't to do everything manually.

Thex should implement this way then!!

• Andy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're so behind all others as it's 2018 and setting up email shouldn't require more than 2 items (their email address and email password) for clients to enter in their email client or mobile device.

PLESK we need you to work on what will grow our businesses of happy customers and lower costs for support. Over 80% of our support goes toward email setup issues.

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's been three years guys!

Every single customer contacts me because they cannot set up their mail clients.
    The same answer every single time.

This isn't that hard to implement!

Plesk has been saying that they will consider adding this to future releases for YEARS? I know Cpanel has the functionality built in. Why are they delaying?

Is this already beeing worked on if not this is one of the more important features I found on plesk.uservoice.com ?

• Robin Labadie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Leigh Though I agree with you, we (HaiSoft, managed hosting company) made a script for this in the meantime :) Works for Outlook and Thunderbird, there is also a config creation assistant for iPhones, but globally, we didn't find any auto configuration process for other message clients for now.
    https://github.com/UltimateByte/plesk_mail_autoconfig

Please, note that you need to strictly fit the requirements in order for this to work :)

Feedback and Knowledge Base