I suggest you ...

Multiple backup rules or more options

At this moment, you can set only 1 rule to make backups (daily, weekly, or monthly). My idea is to make multiple backup rules (ex. which daily backups should be deleted) or simply make more backup options.

Ex:
I want to make daily backup and delete every older than 2 days, except one day of the week and one day of the month.

ex interface:
Make [daily/weekly/monthly] backup and keep only:
[n] daily backups (enabled only for daily backups)
[n] weekly backups (enabled for daily and weekly backups)
[n] monthly backups (enabled for daily, weekly and monthly backups)

So, if someone picks daily backups from 2 days, but also wants a 1 monthly backup, the script makes daily backups and deletes every backup older than 2 days except 1 monthly backup. This way it doesn't make double work - backup for daily backups and backup for monthly backups.

514 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

ProgramistaProgramista shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

22 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When can we expect an improvement?
        The current backup manager is really not sufficent. Today I have a rule for a weekly full backup and daily incemental backups inbetween. I'm missing options to configure which backups should be deleted or stored for a longer time.
        In my case I want to keep only the weekly backups and delete all increments after 4 weeks. Furthermore after 6 month I only want to store a monthely backup. Today i have to delete all the old backups manually, whichis really annoying.

And additionaly it would be nice to have the possibillity to configure a backup task for only the databases and this should be configurable to run more than once per day.

Also all backup will be good to be separated, every domain to have own zip/tar archive filex+db
        not one big archive

• Marcos SouzaMarcos Souza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same need.

The quickest implementation is to enable additional Schedule Backup and provide an option to disable the obligation to make a Full Backup (letting user the option to create additional Incremental Backups, without messing things like repeated Full Backups). This already happends if the Admin and Client both setup Backups, it create multiple Full Backups which is not necessary since Admin Backups are create in behalf user.

Here are two suggestions for the Backup Manager:

1.) In my opinion, it would be extremely useful if you could set up several backup tasks for each web space.

2.) It would also be helpful to be able to perform more than one daily backup for each web space.

With these changes, it would be possible individual area (mailboxes, database, etc.) differ frequently back up. A user can control and targeted which areas are to be backed up as often.
        For example, the mailboxes from a "mail server" must often be backed. The FTP data and the databases from these "mail server" are very static and need less often to be backed up.

• Felipe SantosFelipe Santos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

# Its missing multiple backup instances

- Possible to create many backup instances as need (schedule instances)
        eg, one to backup emails daily, other to backup data weekly in separate bkp files.

- Possible to exclude directories from backup, like "Private folder"

• TizeTize commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey, you know something of how to extend this option in Plesk?
        Of I upgraded and now suddenly I can only back up two days!
        Thank you.

• MaxMax commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Creating multiple backup job plans. For example, to external FTP, SMB, or local store.

• Marco MarsalaMarco Marsala commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow specifying multiple schedules per day. In many cases, a daily backup, every 24 hours, is not enough.

Allow specifying multiple times for daily backup or insert at least the "Twice a day" option

• Joost PluimJoost Pluim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is it possible to also enable back-up rules for certain blocks of plesk or certain blocks of a domain.

I would like to schedule backups for local server and external server. both
        So I need 2 task not only 1

• IsmaelIsmael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hourly backups too, for expample, for my online store, posibility have a backup every 4 hour or maybe every hour too.

With each of these schedules it would be ideal to be able to select either server repository or personal repository such that an administrator could select daily backups to be stored locally and weekly or monthly backups to be stored in a personal repository.

• Andy BirdAndy Bird commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The only thing cpanel does better than plesk is the backup wizzArd where with 2 clicks you can download a whole site or database. Can you add that the the above

• Jay VersluisJay Versluis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the idea of multiple backup rules. Perhaps we can include the location of where each backup goes too, for example "local", "cloud service 1', "cloud service 2". You can never have enough backups in different places.

Having full daily backups is fine but consumes too much space; would love to be able to schedule a full backup once a month plus incremental backups every monday, wednesday and friday or tuesday, thursday and saturdays. Your backups have saved my business twice; its a mandatory feature. Regards

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base